Sunday, July 12, 2009

Something I Heard A Bird Tweet

I've had a pretty weird weekend these past few days, what with the rain and some family things. Thanks to a viewer who sent a link by twitter, I have had way more visitors than normal. This person thinks that I am somewhat normally a progressive-minded "Lexingtonian blogger" yet for some reason misguided on CentrePointe. He has even told a fellow twit that I was, for Lexington, mildly progressive. Well, I have my reasons for being behind the CentrePointe project and have stated them here before and if enticing large amounts of foreign money to be spent in Lexington, then Keeneland, The Horse Park and the WEG are all sure to be losers in the long run.

I have had people tell me that the CentrePointe project will only be for the rich and that to locals will not be able to live/shop/stay there. To that I would wonder, just how many local Louisvillians stay at the Galt House on a regular basis. Do the local suburbanites spend a lot of their money there? Is the majority of the profit generated by them coming from the local economy, or from outside sources? This is how I see the Marriot hotel and foreign owned condos of the CentrePointe tower, a generator of new money for the Lexington economy. Was this the case for the businesses formerly housed on that block? Do the investors who ownThe Dame bring in money or send it out, with the traveling bands/dividends to investors? What other ventures on that block have brought in as large an influx of foreign cash?

This aforementioned fellow twit has called me a curmudgeonly old man who thinks working where I do makes me special. Nothing make me special except the talents that I bring to the job, and for over 35 years those talents have kept me employed and a taxpaying member of society. I don't need a recent UK graduate or anyone else to tell me what I should think about being special, because just about anyone can become a UK graduate.

The thoughts that appear here are what I believe, whether you agree with them or not. The fact that a goodly number of you keep returning to read what I write means that, to some degree, you like to hear what I have to say, though, I also will return to those with whom I disagree, so that I can laugh at their latest folly.

Some of you have made comments which imply that my thoughts are so very wrong, yet offer no real thoughts of your own. Some have asked for further thoughts without saying whether you agree. I will continue to record my thoughts and experiences and you may continue to drop by to read them. For that I thank you.

1 comment:

lexdan said...

Streetsweeper, when you write stuff like "I don't need a recent UK graduate or anyone else to tell me what I should think about being special, because just about anyone can become a UK graduate." or "I also will return to those with whom I disagree, so that I can laugh at their latest folly." you kind of prove the commenter's point that you are a curmudgeon.

Sure, people that leave comments on blogs can be obnoxious at times, but this is your blog. You are supposed to be better than that. Insulting everyone that ever got a degree from UK or that comments on your blog doesn't exactly set a good tone.