Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Missing, But For How Long?

Taking care of getting a Henry Clay statue for downtown could be a simple task if.  If we had a more motivated citizenry.  A citizenry not focused on letting the government do all the fund raising and arranging of the details.  Or maybe a government which could stay on task for more than an administration's four year term.

From what I can tell the other two monuments were funded by single minded groups and focused fund raising, some things that I find in short supply these days.

Or at least I thought so until today.

How many of us remember when they removed the Skuller's clock from Main Street during the streetscape work?  I, like many others I guess, thought that we may have seen the last of this old beauty or that it would end up in the History Museum like so many other relics.

I was there when they removed it and took the photo to the left.  I will be there when they reinstall it.

I heard today that the necessary funds were raised and repair of the timepiece is nearly complete.  Soon I hope to see some movement to prepare the base in the sidewalk and a triumphal ceremony of re-dedication and this side of the block's street work will be done.

The 21c hotel and a bit of facade work on the Odd Fellows Hall building and this block will be primo, well except for the "blue ghost".

Keep your eyes peeled for this exciting event.

1 comment:

Hephaestion said...

I am preparing a display on Lexington for the Chevy Chase Branch Library for this November 1-30. I'd love to hear from you about noteworthy aspects of life in Lexington. If you would like to suggest anything I should add to the display, email me at david.gantt@dc.gov. If you wish to see another of my displays just Google "Bogota Chevy Chase" and the first search result is a YouTube clip showing my display on the incredible transformation of Bogota. In my displays I like to include any great new ideas that have been implimented in the place being highlighted. Thanks, Dave Gantt