Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Do We Really Have A Brain Drain?

The Wall Street Journal ran an article on Saturday regarding the so called "youth magnet" cities like Portland, Austin and Denver. While it is true that these cities continue to draw numbers of young people, due to reputation mostly, the prospects of finding employment in their chosen fields has diminished along with the economy.

I keep hearing about the youth of this city leaving for greener pastures and the talent then being gone for good. This has been going on since I was in high school. A lot of my friends left for schools and careers in other states but by and large they mostly came back.

My own brother left for a career in the military and after retiring as a Major, took a military-related consulting position. After more than 40 years away from Lexington, he returned to stay where he has family and friends. Two of my nieces have graduated from college, left town for a short stint, then came home to marry and settle down.

On the other hand, the majority of the folks that I work with, have partied with or have conducted business with, are from somewhere else. Mrs. Sweeper says that she knows precious few native Lexingtonians. I dare say that if you were to take a poll of any gathering of people, anywhere in town, the local talent would be in the minority. Most of those in a leadership position for Lexington are from outside the Fayette County line.

I would like to ask all of you, my loyal readers, if you will drop me a note letting me know if you are a native or not, if not then from where you hail and how long that you have been in town. For those of you in other states, are you native and how long have you been gone? I will keep your information private if you wish.

No comments: